Sunday, October 5, 2008













In Italy, Rome is known as La citta’ eterna—the Eternal City. Of course, I had been to Rome twice before, but when my mother decided to fly all the way from Los Angeles to visit me in Istanbul, I thought, if she is coming to the European continent, she must see Rome. Since she was coming for two weeks, I thought that she can spend one week in Rome, and one week in Istanbul.





Rome is an ancient city, with over 3000 years of visible history. At every step, there are Greek and Roman ruins, beautiful Piazzas with elaborate fountains, or ancient churches with lavish decorations. Sometimes, the amount of beauty and history can be overwhelming, so my mother and I balanced our cultural trips to museums and churches by shopping. For what? What is Italy most famous for, other than its beautiful landscapes, architecture, and amazing food? Fashion, of course! So my mother and I searched for bargains while shopping for beautiful shoes and clothes.





While I enjoyed walking around, revisiting and admiring Bernini’s amazing fountains and sculptures, I also missed home, and by home, I mean Istanbul. My mother and I spent a lot of time in crowded buses that were stuck in traffic or in the metro. At those times, I missed the Bosphorous, and the possibility of simply taking a ferry across from one side of the city to another.





All in all, I had a lot of fun, drank a lot of cappuccinos, and ate a variety of pizza and pasta dishes. I also enjoyed being in a country where I speak the language.





I would recommend any of you to discover Italy in all its beauty, but be aware that the Euromakes everything expensive for us; Even a simple lunch can cost up to 30 Euros.






Ciao
Anna

No comments: